"Introduction to Water Soluble Oils" with Angela Bandurka
DATE/TIME: 6-week series, Feb 2*, Feb 16, Mar 2, Mar 16, Mar 30, April 13, 1pm-4pm (*12pm-3pm for Feb 2nd class only; with a make-up class date of Apr 27)
REGISTRATION: You can register for this class by calling in, coming in, or online. Scroll ot the bottom of the page for online registration. 425.640.6408
LOCATION: ARTspot Studio - located in the back room of ARTspot, 408 Main Street, Edmonds, 98020.
WORKSHOP DESCRIPTION: Learn to paint with water soluble oils - nearly the same as any other oil except you can use water with them instead of solvents! Angela will take you through six weeks of lessons, with a valuable take home summary each day for your personal use. Each week will focus on a different element of oil painting, with plenty of personalized instruction along the way.
Week one: Landscape. This week will be about how to apply the paint and best practices when painting in oils. Students are welcome to paint the instructor's photo reference, or bring their own if they've painted before.
Week two: Floral. Using warm and cool lights, hard and soft edges. These terms and others will be detailed in a glossary that Angela has created for her students, and demonstrated at the start of the day.
Week three: Architecture. Painting a building requires a little perspective - we'll talk about that and how to use the paint to create a sense of depth.
Week four: Boats. Cropping in closely on a wooden boat with strong values and mixed grey tones is a great lesson in color mixing.
Week five: Painting Fruit. Getting the planes right is the challenge, and painting fruit is a great step in learning about how shadows, cast shadows, and reflected light are all necessary for a plausible piece. Oil paints make our job easy as we can lay down values, then blend afterwards.
Week six: Portraits. Using a mirror or a photograph, we will paint the portrait. The goal here is NOT to get a likeness, but to work on the planes of a face and apply the lessons from week five.
- 3 gessoed wood panels, 8x10”
- 2 canvases or canvas panels, 8x10”
Watersoluble Oil Paint
- Hansa Yellow
- Blue Ultramarine
- Alizarin Crimson
- Titanium White
- OPTIONAL: Buﬀ Titanium, Cadmium Red, Burnt Umber, Sap Green, Phthalo Blue (Green)
- Small round (size 0 or 1)
- Small ﬂat or bright (size 2 or 4)
- Larger ﬂat or bright (size 8 or 10)
- Note that diﬀerent manufacturers’ sizing varies, just to confuse us! So if you’re unsure, come on in to ARTspot and we’ll hook you up.
- Watersoluble Linseed Oil
- Fast-dry Medium
- Palette Cups. You can buy these with lids (preferable) or use small, clean jars from home.
Newspaper or Cardboard Box
- This is to protect your car’s ﬂoorboards as you transport your wet painting home!
- A table-top easel or standing easel are both ﬁne. Please let the instructor know by email which you’ll bring so she can get the room organized: firstname.lastname@example.org
** means we have it at ARTspot and as a registered student you get 10% off!
Complete registration by checking out with the shopping cart in the upper right corner.