The Quotable Cousin:
COMBINE A FAVORITE QUOTE OVER YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY WITH LISA MYERS BULMASH
Tuesday Evenings, September 22 & 29 / 6-8:30pm / $85
CLASS SIZE: Maximum 12 students
LOCATION: Cole Studio at 107 5th Ave S. Just around the corner from ARTspot!
In this class, you’ll bring a few copies of family photos: maybe your mom, perhaps a favorite uncle, even the black sheep of the family… it’s up to you. After doing some expressive journaling to explore your relative’s personality, we’ll pair each photo with a quote that seems to express that relative’s personality. We’ll finish the day by sealing the photos and quotes we’ll use in the second class session.
On day two, we’ll collage art papers and magazine images onto an 8” x 8” wood panel. Then the magic begins: we rub away the paper behind the photocopy to create translucent “gel skins.” These image transfers will be layered onto the collage, so the papers beneath show through your relative’s image.
(Remember, you get 10% off art supply purchases at ARTSpot, from the time you pay your registration until the end of your class! Everything starred** is available at ARTSpot.)
** **Notebook or paper in which to write thoughts about, or memories of, your relative
· ** Glue stick (available at ARTSpot or office supply stores)
· ** Flat brush (has a square end) to do paint washes
· ** Packet of artist trading cards
· ** 8”x8” wood panel
· Golden matte medium**
· ** 1 oz. bottles of fluid Golden acrylic paint (up to 3 colors of your choice)
· ** Ephemera Kit ($10 at ARTspot) and/or sheet of art paper you like, and/or a colletion of papers and other "ephemora you already have that fits your theme.
· Optional: embossing heat tool or craft heat gun
· Optional: stencil(s) for adding visual texture**We have a full selection of TCW (The Crafters Workshop) 6x6 and 12x12 Avalable at ARTspot
· Small water container, like a Tupperware or Gladware container that WON’T be used for food later
· Magazine images or junk mail that has colors or patterns you like
· TONER-BASED, high-contrast, black & white photocopies of a relative/relatives:
o Choose a photo with lots of “white space”/negative space
o Print or photocopy at 7” to 8” tall or wide
o Photocopy must be toner-based or technique will not work. If you don’t have a printer like this, take the photo to FedEx Kinko’s or another copy center with toner-based black & white copy machines.
o Use regular printer paper (#24 weight is good) – no glossy photo paper.
· 4-6 quotes, with attributions (for example, “Try to be a rainbow in someone else’s cloud.” – Maya Angelou). Use any or all of the following:
o inspirational words from famous people
o deep thoughts from your favorite songs
o expressions your mom or dad used that you now find yourself repeating
Supplies provided by ARTSpot and instructor:
· Craft heat tools (ARTSpot has two)
· Magazine and catalog images for collage backgrounds
Complete check out by clicking the shopping cart in the upper right corner