"Abstract Self Portrait" with Tracy Felix Fraker
DATE/TIME: Oct 4, 11am-4pm
COST: $85.00 each session
REGISTRATION: You can register for this class by calling in, coming in, or online. Scroll ot the bottom of the page for online registration. 425.640.6408
LOCATION: ARTspot Studio - located onsite at ARTspot, 408 Main Street, Edmonds, 98020.
WORKSHOP DESCRIPTION: Approach a mid size painting with the subject of expressing some aspect of yourself. We will be working in a contemporary style, so your work will be an abstracted portrait (with guidance!) or symbolic only. We will start with some fun exercises to narrow down your own personal interests into a workable symbol, image or story - this is the first step in developing a vocabulary unique to your artwork. We will then play with some new techniques as you create a painting based on your imagery. Emphasis will be on trying out a variety of techniques for texture and layering. For beginners to experienced painters wanting to learn techniques in acrylic paints and mediums. This is a fun and supportive class, so you can enjoy a day of painting in the ARTspot studio.
SUPPLY LIST: All items on list are available at ARTspot. Registered students receive 10% off at ARTspot! Everyone at ARTspot is a working professional artist - we are so here for any help, advice and encouragement you may need!
- Purchase a sealing palette for acrylics to keep paints from drying out. We recommend the Artelier Airtight Peel-Off Palette. ... or you can use a rectangular Tupperware type container with lid
- You can bring in acrylic paints you already have, but I highly recommend professional artists paints. Avoid “cheap” student grade paints! If you are just getting started, my best recommendation is: Golden Color Theory Set of 8 colors. A perfect set to start with and it is the required set for Color Theory if you are thinking you would like to take that in the future. (We also have set in fluid and mini tubes.) The ARTspot staff is always here to help you choose a few basic colors to start with
- 16x20” or 18x24” or similar size canvas, canvas panel, MDF or cradled board
- A variety of Gel Mediums and Molding Pastes: For sure bring: regular or heavy gel & molding paste.
- Acrylic Bristol Brushes, variety. I love #8, 10 and 12 flats and filberts (Bring any brushes you already have.)
- Flat sided palette knife
Other - we have these here for you to borrow if you would like!
- Spray bottle for water
- Apron or old shirt
- Collage materials you like, although I will have a selection for you to use here
Complete registration by checking out with the shopping cart in the upper right corner.